Cholesterol check-up service
What is the cholesterol check-up service?
Millions of people across the country are at risk of developing heart disease*. What many people don't realise is that it can often be prevented by taking simple steps to look after your heart. If you already know your risk of heart (cardiovascular) disease, then you will know that it is important to keep your heart healthy by maintaining a healthy lifestyle. The cholesterol check-up service at LloydsPharmacy can help identify how likely you are to develop heart disease in the next ten years and may help you to prevent it. The service also helps to make sure you are doing the right things to look after your heart and can support you with any lifestyle changes you are recommended to make.
Visit your local store for a check-upBook appointment now Find a pharmacy
Why should I have a cholesterol check-up?
Cholesterol is a fatty substance and is essential for the normal functioning of the body. High cholesterol itself doesn’t usually cause any symptoms, but it increases your risk of developing serious health conditions such as heart disease and stroke. If you are concerned about your heart and, in particular, your cholesterol levels, visit us for our cholesterol check service.
Is the cholesterol test free or do I need to pay for this service?
The cholesterol check costs £18.**
What happens during the cholesterol test and check up?
The service will be delivered in the consultation room, the pharmacy colleague will check that you are eligible for the service. You will also be asked questions about your lifestyle, including:
- Whether you smoke
- Your alcohol consumption
- Your activity levels
The results of your check-up will be available immediately, and you will receive a personalised action plan highlighting the simple steps you can take to keep your heart and cholesterol levels healthy, such as:
- Stopping smoking
- Reducing alcohol intake
- Reducing saturated fat intake
- Increasing activity levels
- Increasing the amount of fruit and vegetables you eat
- Reaching a healthy weight (this can include gaining and losing weight)
- Having a medicines check-up if you are taking any new medication for any other condition
You may then be asked to attend a follow-up appointment to assess your progress against your action plan. If appropriate, you may be referred to your GP.
Who is the cholesterol check-up for?
The cholesterol check-up service is for anyone over the age of 18 who is concerned about their heart and cholesterol health. The test is available to customers who want to monitor their cholesterol levels whether they are taking medication from their GP or are making lifestyle changes and want to see how they are doing. The test will enable you to track improvements and help motivate you to continue to manage your heart health.
This service is also for anyone over the age of 18 who already knows their risk of heart disease. For example:
- Those being treated with lipid lowering medicines or have diabetes
- Those who have had an NHS Health Check or Vitality Health Check that identified raised cholesterol
- Those that have previously had a Cholesterol and Heart Check that identified raised cholesterol
- Those taking supplements to lower their cholesterol and who want to track improvement
However, if you fall into one of the following categories, we strongly recommend that you visit us for a check-up:
- You are over 40 years old
- You are of South Asian or African Caribbean origin
- You have any immediate family members under the age of 55 if male (e.g. brother/father) or 65 if female (e.g. sister/mother) who have/had heart disease
- You have high blood pressure
- You are a smoker
- You are overweight
- You have a family history of high cholesterol levels
- You lead an inactive lifestyle
Cholesterol check frequently asked questions
Is there anyone that cannot have a cholesterol test?
The service is not suitable if:
- You are under 18 years of age
- In the last 3 months you've had an acute illness, e.g. bacterial or viral infection (excluding the common cold/flu) or an operation or surgery requiring an anaesthetic
- In the last 2 weeks you've lost more than 3kg (7lb) for a reason other than intentional dieting or changed the amount of alcohol normally consumed
- You are pregnant or think you may be pregnant, are breastfeeding or given birth in the last 6 months
If you fall into any of the above categories, then please speak to the pharmacist to find out when you may be able to have the check-up.
Where can I get a cholesterol test?
To find your nearest LloydsPharmacy which offers cholesterol tests visit our store locator. You can also ask in your local store, our expert healthcare practitioners will be able to help.
Do I have to make an appointment?
No appointment is usually needed, however you may be asked to select an appointment when it is busy, or you may want to request a particular time for peace of mind. You can do this using our booking form or by contacting your local LloydsPharmacy.
How long does the service take?
Checking your cholesterol levels can take 20 minutes, as our pharmacy team may be ask additional questions, and of course you can ask any questions you may have.
What do I need to do next?
Visit or call your local LloydsPharmacy and ask for a check-up or book online with our booking form.
Can I test for cholesterol at home?
Online and in-store we offer a range of home cholesterol test kits which can be used alongside our check-up service or GP appointment to help check your cholesterol levels. These tests allow you to check and monitor your levels in the comfort of your own home, simply choose to pick up your test kit in store or have it delivered to your home. The kits include everything you need and instructions on how to test cholesterol.
Our pharmacy team have put the appropriate Covid Infection Prevention and Control measures in place to ensure that we can provide services, care and advice to you safely.
LloydsDirect by LloydsPharmacy can help with your NHS repeat prescriptions
If you are prescribed repeat medication, LloydsDirect by LloydsPharmacy can help to manage your prescriptions online by ordering them directly with your GP on your behalf. With simple online and in-app ordering your medication will be available when you need it, benefit from free delivery and free reminders when to re-order your medication. We can deliver to a UK address of your choice – your home, work, a carer or neighbour for free.Find out more
**Please ask your local store for more details as prices may vary or see our booking form for more details.