- Thick shampoo to treat scalp conditions
- Reduces scales, itchiness, and inflammation
- For psoriasis in adults and children over 12
The best coal tar shampoo for treating dandruff and psoriasis.
Polytar Shampoo is a specially formulated thick, antiseptic tar medicated shampoo that soothes the symptoms that are often experienced by people with scalp psoriasis or other skin related conditions, including irritated skin on the scalp, reducing itchiness, scaling, and inflammation.
Coal tar belongs to a class of drugs known as keratoplastics which have mild antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effects which help to alleviate itching. The coal tar gets absorbed into the skin which slows down cell division and stops the cells from multiplying which in turn reduces scaling and thickening of the skin.
Features of Polytar shampoo 150ml
• 4g coal tar solution
• Helps alleviate itching
• Relieves symptoms of skin related conditions
• Can be used to treat psoriasis
• Suitable to be used by adults and children aged 12 and over
Warnings and cautions
• Avoid using the product if you are sensitive to any of the ingredients
• Tar products may cause skin irritation, rashes, and rarely, photo-sensitivity
• If you experience irritation or any other unwanted effects ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice
• Keep out of reach of children
• Can stain skin, clothes and can rarely cause a temporary change in hair colour
Side effects of Polytar Shampoo
• Skin rashes
• Skin irritation
• Increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight (photo-sensitivity)
How to use
Adults and adolescents - This medicine is for topical application to the scalp.
1. The hair should be wet and sufficient amount applied to produce abundant lather.
2. The scalp and adjacent areas should be vigorously massaged with the fingertips.
3. The hair should be then thoroughly rinsed and the procedure repeated.
4. Taking both of these shampoo applications into consideration, the total leave on time for the shampoo should be 3-5 minutes.
This medicine should be used once or twice weekly for the treatment of scalp disorders.
Normal duration of use is 4 weeks after which the condition should improve.
Longer duration of therapy should be continued under the supervision of a physician.
Use in the elderly: The dosage instructions given above are suitable for the elderly.
Use in children: Not established for use in children under the age of 12 years.
Coal tar solution 4%(w/w). Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulphate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Phosphate Dihydrate, Citric Acid Monohydrate, Benzyl Alcohol, Macrogol 150 Distearate, Hexylene Glycol, Oleyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium-10, Fruitier Timotei Fragrance AF17050, Purified Water.
Delivery and returns
Free on orders over £20
£3.95 for orders up to £20
Delivered within 4 - 5 working days
Next day delivery
Delivered next working day if ordered before 3pm Monday - 3pm Thursday
Delivered on Saturday if ordered after 3pm Thursday - 3pm Friday
Delivered Tuesday if ordered after 3pm Friday - Sunday
Click & Collect
Free on orders over £15
£1.50 for orders up to £15
Delivered the next working day if ordered before 3pm Monday - 3pm Thursday
Delivered the following working Tuesday if ordered after 3pm Thursday - 3pm Monday
*Orders to the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Scottish Highlands and Islands will take an additional working day to these delivery times
Purchasing in bulk/high unit volume
Please note that when purchasing high unit volumes of single lines (10+ units) that delivery promotions are null and void.
This is as a result of high volume orders not being able to be dispatched via our normal third party fulfilment.
As a result for any excessive bulk orders of single lines we will be in touch regarding your order to discuss further delivery costs that will be incurred.
If you're not completely satisfied with your order, you can return it to us within 14 days
Find out more about our returns policy click here