- Temporarily numbs skin
- Numbing effects can be felt in an hour
- Can be used before injections or blood tests
Numbs skin before needle procedures
Emla contains the two active substances, lidocaine and prilocaine, known as local anaesthetics. Together these ingredients create a numbing effect. When applied to clean, unbroken skin, Emla will numb the skin for a short time. It can be used to ease the pain of procedures that use needles, such as injections, blood tests and immunisations. The pain caused by procedures using needles will not be felt, however you may still experience feelings of pressure and touch.
Emla takes around one hour to take affect after it has been applied to your chosen area of skin. For Emla cream to work, it needs to be covered with a special air-tight, non-absorbent transparent dressing, once it has been applied to skin. This occlusive dressing allows the active ingredients soak into the skin.
Features of Emla numbing cream 5%
- Apply 60 minutes before the procedure to achieve numbing effect
- Temporarily numbs skin and stops pain
- Use for procedures which use needles, including injections
Warnings and cautions
- Keep out of the sight and reach of children
- For topical anaesthesia of the skin
- Read carefully the patient information leaflet and exactly follow the instructions provided for your situation
- Store below 30°C and do not freeze
- The length of time before your procedure that Emla should be applied to the skin can vary with age and according to the procedure
- If using for a child less than 1 year old, you must remove the cream after one hour
- You may experience a mild reaction where the cream has been used, which is normal and will disappear in a short while. This includes; paleness or redness of the skin, slight puffiness, initial burning or itching
- If you experience any troublesome or unusual effects while you are using Emla Cream, stop using it and check with your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible
How to use
- Read the enclosed patient information leaflet before you apply the numbing agent.
- Apply Emla cream directly to skin, 60 minutes before the procedure.
- Cover the cream with an air-tight, non-absorbent and transparent occlusive dressing, so the active ingredients soak into the skin and do not get wiped off.
Lidocaine (25mg) and Prilocaine (25mg), Macrogolglycerol Hydroxystearate, Carbomer 974P, Sodium Hydroxide and Purified Water.
Delivery and returns
Click & Collect
Free on all orders
Delivered in one working day if ordered before 6pm Monday - 6pm Thursday
Delivered the following working Tuesday if ordered after 6pm Thursday - 6pm Monday
*Please note: If your chosen pharmacy is in the North West, North East, Yorkshire, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Scottish Highlands and Islands your order will take an additional working day to these delivery times. To find out if your pharmacy is impacted click here.
Free on orders over £25
£2.95 for orders up to £25
Delivered in 3-5 working days
Next day delivery
Delivered next working day if ordered before 6pm Monday - 6pm Thursday
Delivered on Saturday if ordered after 6pm Thursday - 6pm Friday
Delivered Tuesday if ordered after 6pm Friday - Sunday
Purchasing in bulk/high unit volume
Please note that when purchasing high unit volumes of single lines (10+ units) that delivery promotions are null and void.
This is as a result of high volume orders not being able to be dispatched via our normal third party fulfilment.
As a result for any excessive bulk orders of single lines we will be in touch regarding your order to discuss further delivery costs that will be incurred.
If you're not completely satisfied with your order, you can return it to us within 28 days
Find out more about our returns policy click here