- Eases pain of needles procedures
- Temporarily numbs skin
- Use 60 minutes before injections or blood tests
Numbs skin in 60 minutes for pain relief during needle procedures.
Emla Cream is a numbing cream for easing the pain of needle procedures, including injections, immunisations and blood tests. The cream contains two active substances, lidocaine and prilocaine, which together create the numbing effect.
Typically, Emla Cream should be applied 60 minutes before the procedure, as in most cases it takes around one hour for Emla Cream to numb the skin. The procedure and your age will affect the length of time that the numbing cream takes effect. Make sure to read the patient information leaflet and follow the instructions that apply to you.
Once applied to the skin, the cream must be covered with one of the special air-tight, transparent dressing included in the pack. This occlusive dressing will allow the active ingredients to soak into the skin and not be wiped off.
This 5g tube is ideal is you need to numb a small area of skin, it is typically enough for two applications.
Features of Emla numbing cream 5% with dressings
- Apply 60 minutes before the procedure to achieve numbing effect
- Temporarily numbs skin and stops pain
- Use for procedures which use needles, including injections
Warnings and cautions
- Keep out of the sight and reach of children
- For topical anaesthesia of the skin
- Read carefully the patient information leaflet and exactly follow the instructions provided for your situation
- Store below 30°C and do not freeze
- The length of time before your procedure that Emla should be applied to the skin can vary with age and according to the procedure
- If using for a child less than 1 year old, you must remove the cream after one hour
- You may experience a mild reaction where the cream has been used, which is normal and will disappear in a short while. This includes; paleness or redness of the skin, slight puffiness, initial burning or itching
- If you experience any troublesome or unusual effects while you are using Emla Cream, stop using it and check with your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible
How to use
- Read the enclosed patient information leaflet before you apply the numbing agent.
- Apply Emla cream directly to skin, 60 minutes before the procedure.
- Cover the cream with an air-tight, non-absorbent and transparent occlusive dressing, so the active ingredients soak into the skin and do not get wiped off.
Lidocaine (25mg) and Prilocaine (25mg), Macrogolglycerol Hydroxystearate, Carbomer 974P, Sodium Hydroxide and Purified Water.
Delivery and returns
Click & Collect
Free on all orders
Delivered in one working day if ordered before 6pm Monday - 6pm Thursday
Delivered the following working Tuesday if ordered after 6pm Thursday - 6pm Monday
*Please note: If your chosen pharmacy is in the North West, North East, Yorkshire, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Scottish Highlands and Islands your order will take an additional working day to these delivery times. To find out if your pharmacy is impacted click here.
Free on orders over £25
£2.95 for orders up to £25
Delivered in 3-5 working days
Next day delivery
Delivered next working day if ordered before 6pm Monday - 6pm Thursday
Delivered on Saturday if ordered after 6pm Thursday - 6pm Friday
Delivered Tuesday if ordered after 6pm Friday - Sunday
Purchasing in bulk/high unit volume
Please note that when purchasing high unit volumes of single lines (10+ units) that delivery promotions are null and void.
This is as a result of high volume orders not being able to be dispatched via our normal third party fulfilment.
As a result for any excessive bulk orders of single lines we will be in touch regarding your order to discuss further delivery costs that will be incurred.
If you're not completely satisfied with your order, you can return it to us within 28 days
Find out more about our returns policy click here