- Progestogen-only pill
- Available without a prescription
- 99% effective at preventing pregnancy when used correctly*
Lovima is a contraceptive pill taken daily to prevent pregnancy.
Lovima contains a synthetic form of progesterone, called desogestrel and is, therefore, known as a progestogen-only pill (POP) or the “mini-pill”. Desogestrel pills give women more flexibility as it provides effective protection against pregnancy even if taken up to 12 hours late. Mini pills are 99% effective when taken perfectly, and around 91% effective with typical use.**
Lovima is a good option for women who can’t take the combined pill.
Is Lovima safe to take?
Lovima has proven to be an effective and safe contraception. This is why it’s become one of the first contraceptive pills adult women can buy through pharmacies without the need for a prescription.
We’ll make sure the Lovima pill is safe for you to take. Simply answer a set of questions online when ordering and our pharmacist will review these to make sure Lovima is the right pill for you. A pharmacist may then get in touch with you to make sure you know how to take the pill safely and let you know of any possible side effects.
Lovima is available both online and in-store. You must be over 18 to buy Lovima online at LloydsPharmacy. If you’re under 18, please visit your local pharmacy, GP or family planning clinic to find out which contraceptive options are available to you.
How Lovima works
Lovima contains desogestrel, and works in the following ways to prevent pregnancy:
- Prevents ovulation by stopping the egg from being released
- Thickens your cervical mucus which makes it difficult for sperm to reach an egg (if one has been released)
What other contraceptive pills are available?
If Lovima isn’t right for you our Online Doctor service could help. They offer a range of contraceptive pills. Simply select your contraception, answer a few simple questions. If appropriate, one of the clinicians will approve the prescription and you can have it delivered or pick it up in your local LloydsPharmacy.
If you’re not sure what you need you can click ‘help me choose contraception’ and we’ll recommend you a range of contraceptive options to suit your needs. These recommendations will be based on your preferences, medical history and any side effects you’ve had in the past when using other contraceptives.
Features of Lovima 75 microgram film-coated tablets
- Effective protection against pregnancy
- No need for a prescription
- Progestogen-only pill
- No pill free break in-between packs
*Lovima® 75 microgram film-coated tablets Summary of Product Characteristics 2020. 2. Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare. FSRH Clinical Guideline: Progestogen-only Pills (March 2015, Amended April 2019) - Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare [Internet]. Fsrh.org. 2019 [cited 3 March 2019]. Available from: https://www.fsrh.org/standards-and-guidance/documents/cec-ceu-guidance-pop-mar-2015/
**Perfect use is defined by FPA as using the method correctly every time; typical use is when the method is not always followed correctly.
- 28 tablets / 84 tablets
- Women of childbearing age
Warnings and cautions
Lovima is suitable for lots of women, but you shouldn’t take it:
- If you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant
- If you have thrombosis
- If you have or have had jaundice or severe liver disease and you have been told that your liver is still not working normally
- If you have or if you are suspected of having cancer that grows under the influence of sex-steroids, such as certain types of breast, uterine or ovarian cancer
- If you have any unexplained vaginal bleeding
- If you are allergic to desogestrel, peanut, soya or any of the ingredients of this medicine If any of these apply to you, you should speak to your doctor or family planning nurse, as another form of contraception might be more suitable
Talk to your pharmacist, doctor or family planning nurse before using Lovima:
- If you have ever had breast cancer
- If you have liver cancer or other liver problems
- If you have ever had thrombosis
- If you have diabetes
- If you have high blood pressure
Lovima must not be taken with certain medicines. Ensure you talk to your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- Medicines for TB and HIV
- Bosentan for Pulmonary arterial hypertension
- St John’s Wort
- Certain antibiotics, antifungals and calcium channel blockers
Lots of women might experience bleeding that’s different to their usual menstrual cycle when they take Lovima. Some women will bleed more, less or might not bleed at all. These changes are likely to settle after a while and isn’t something to be worried about. But if you’re concerned, please speak to your GP or a family planning nurse.
Make sure you:
- Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children
- Do not use Lovima after the expiry date which is stated on the carton label and blister foil
- The active substance could cause an environmental risk to fish. Do not throw away any medicines via waste water or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help to protect the environment
Possible side effects
Common side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10 women):
- Mood changes
- Depressed mood
- Decreased sexual drive (libido)
- Breast pain
- Irregular or no periods
- Weight increase
Uncommon side effects (may affect up to 1 in 100 women):
- Infection of the vagina
- Difficulties in wearing contact lenses
- Hair loss
- Painful periods
- Ovarian cysts
Rare side effects (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 women):
- Skin conditions such as rash, hives, erythema nodosuum
- Breast secretion or leakage may occur
How to use
You should take one Lovima pill daily, at the same time each day. It’s very important you try and take it at the exact same time.
The pack will have the days labelled, so you know which one to take each day. Follow the arrows around, until you’ve finished that pack and can move onto the next. Take each pack back-to-back, without a break, even if you’re bleeding.
The active substance is desogestrel (75 microgram).
The other ingredients are lactose monohydrate, maize starch, povidone K30 (E1201), d-α-Tocopherol (E307), soybean oil, silica, colloidal hydrated (E551), silica, colloidal anhydrous (E551), stearic acid (E570), hypromellose 2910 (E464), polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide (E 171).
Delivery and returns
Click & Collect
- Free on all orders over £15
- £1.50 for orders up to £15
- Delivered in 1 working day if ordered before 6pm Monday - 6pm Thursday
- Delivered the following working Tuesday if ordered after 6pm Thursday - 6pm Monday
*Please note: If your chosen pharmacy is in the North West, North East, Yorkshire, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Scottish Highlands and Islands your order will take an additional working day to these delivery times. To find out if your pharmacy is impacted click here.
- Free on orders over £25
- £2.99 for orders up to £25
- Delivered in 3-5 working days
Next day delivery
- Free on orders over £60
- £5.99 for orders up to £60
- Delivered Next Day if ordered before 6pm Monday to Friday
- Delivered Tuesday if ordered after 6pm Friday – Sunday
Pharmacy Medicines delivery
Pharmacy Medicines will need to be signed for by someone aged 18 or over. If there isn't anyone in who can sign for your order, you can change your delivery date or redirect it to a local parcel shop using the courier's website or app.
Unfortunately, your order can't be left in a safe place or with a neighbour. The courier will try to deliver three times before they return it to us.
Purchasing in bulk/high unit volume
Please note that when purchasing high unit volumes of single lines (10+ units) that delivery promotions are null and void.
This is as a result of high volume orders not being able to be dispatched via our normal third party fulfilment.
As a result for any excessive bulk orders of single lines we will be in touch regarding your order to discuss further delivery costs that will be incurred.
If you're not completely satisfied with your order, you can return it to us within 28 days
Find out more about our returns policy click here