Think you could have hay fever? It could be an indoor allergy
What is an indoor allergy?
Indoor allergies can easily be mistaken for hay fever and the symptoms are similar to a cold. During the first few hours, you may sneeze, get a runny or blocked nose, and experience dryness in your throat or eyes.
You could begin to feel tired and generally unwell if you continue to be exposed to the allergen. Depending on the allergen, your symptoms could persist for weeks and may be intermittent, which is why they are often mistaken for more common allergies such as hay fever.
What are the causes of an indoor allergy?
There are many common allergens within the home or office environment, such as dust mites, mould, dust from dead skin flakes or pet hair, and can be found in household chemicals, such as cleaning products. Dust mites benefit from warmth and humidity meaning their numbers increase during the spring and summer.
Like hay fever, when someone with an indoor allergy comes into contact with the allergen they present typical allergy symptoms, ranging from sneezing or blocked nose to red and itchy eyes.
How to treat an indoor allergy?
If you are finding it tricky to manage your symptoms with over-the-counter medicines, come in store and speak to one of our healthcare team. They will be able to give you advice on what treatments could work for you.
Avoid allergy triggers
If you can, it’s best to try to avoid the cause of your allergy. But, we know it can be difficult. You could try using humidifiers, limiting pets to just some rooms, frequent hovering, washing bed linen on a high heat and cleaning upholstery.
If you suspect that you may have an indoor allergy, speak with your pharmacy and find out the best remedies to try and keep your symptoms under control.