Managing your medication as a diabetic
Whether you are newly diagnosed or have had diabetes for years, we understand that it can be difficult to get to grips with your medication, especially if you have more than one to take. Whether you live with type 1 or 2 diabetes, we're here with advice on managing medications alongside your diabetes treatment. We'll also be happy to help in store; ask our Pharmacist for advice or book in for a medication management service.
Taking multiple medications?
If you are taking a number of different medicines, taking the right tablet at the right time of day can be vital. However, sometimes it can be difficult to remember what needs to be taken when, and whether it’s with food or without.
Here are some useful tips to help you manage your type 1 or type 2 diabetes medication, as well as alongside other medications:
- Create a timetable that sets out the time for each medication and whether you need to take it with or without food or any other instructions. Put this somewhere you see regularly such as on your fridge.
- Make taking medications part of your daily routine. For example, take them when you do something at the same time each day such as your first cup of tea, when you make breakfast, watch the teatime news or when you go to bed.
- Keep your medications in a relevant place. So, if you have to take it at mealtimes, keep it near where you prepare your food. Similarly, if you take them last thing at night, keep them by your bed.
- Use technology such as smartphones to alert you at the right times.
- Ask family and friends to remind you by phoning or texting.
- If you find that you regularly forget, keep the medicine by your toothbrush and take the medication before you clean your teeth in the morning or evening.
Medicines Check Up
We’re here to help you
If you need more information or advice about managing multiple medications, come in to your local LloydsPharmacy for a FREE Medicines Check Up. You can get answers to all your questions during a private consultation with our Pharmacist. You can also make sure that you’re taking your medicines properly and getting the most from them as a result.
New Medicine Service
Our New Medicine Service (NMS) is a FREE NHS-funded service available at all our stores in England and the Isle of Man. It’s designed to help you get the most out of any newly-prescribed medicines, providing the support you need to understand your condition. You’ll also be shown how taking your new medicine can help you manage your symptoms.