- Progestogen-only pill
- No prescription needed
- Protection against pregnancy
Hana is a daily contraceptive pill taken orally to prevent pregnancy.
Hana is a mini pill (sometimes called a progestogen-only pill or POP) which contains 75mg of desogestrel, which is a synthetic version of the hormone progesterone. The advantage of taking desogestrel mini pills is that they give you protection against pregnancy, even if you take your pill up to 12 hours late.
Hana is available over the counter without the need for a prescription. It’s over 99% effective when taken correctly.* Hana is more suitable for women who can’t take combined contraceptive pills. Hana can also be used by women who are breast-feeding or cannot take oestrogen pills.
Hana is available both online and in-store. You must be over 18 to buy Hana online at LloydsPharmacy. If you’re under 18, please visit your local pharmacy, GP or family planning clinic to find out which contraceptive options are available to you.
Is Hana safe to take?
We’ll make sure the Hana pill is safe for you to take. Simply answer a set of few questions online when ordering and our pharmacist will review these to make sure Hana is the right pill for you. One of our pharmacists may get in touch with you to make sure you know about any possible side effects and how to take the pill correctly.
Please note Hana won’t protect your against sexually transmitted infections (STIs), only condoms can protect you from these.
How Hana works
Hana works by releasing this hormone into your body, which prevents pregnancy by:
- Prevents ovulation, stopping your ovaries from releasing an egg
- Thickening the mucus in the cervix, making it harder for sperm to reach an egg
Hana does not work as an emergency contraceptive. If it’s taken every day it will protect against a pregnancy in the future.
What other contraceptive pills are available?
If Hana isn’t right for you our Online Doctor service could help. They offer a range of contraceptive pills. Simply select your contraception, answer a few simple questions. If appropriate, one of the clinicians will approve the prescription and you can have it delivered or pick it up in your local LloydsPharmacy.
If you’re not sure what you need you can click ‘help me choose contraception’ and we’ll recommend a range of contraceptive options to suit your needs. These recommendations will be based on your preferences, medical history and any side effects you’ve had in the past when using other contraceptives.
Features of Hana 75mg desogestrel tablets
- Effectively protects against pregnancy
- Available without a prescription
- Progestogen-only pill
- No pill free break between packs
*Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare. FSRH Clinical Guideline: Progestogen-only Pills (March 2015, Amended April 2019) - Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare [Internet]. Fsrh.org. 2019 [cited 3 March 2019]. Available from: https://www.fsrh.org/standards-and-guidance/documents/cec-ceu-guidance-pop-mar-2015/
- 28 tablets / 84 tablets
- Women of childbearing age
Warnings and cautions
Hana is suitable for lots of women, but you shouldn’t take it:
- if you have cancer that is affected by sex-steroid hormones, such as certain types of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, endometrial (uterine) cancer
- if you have a blood clot in the legs (deep vein thrombosis) or lungs (pulmonary embolism)
- if you have, or have had, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes) or severe liver diseases and blood tests show your liver has not returned to normal
- if you have any unexplained vaginal bleeding between your periods, or if you repeatedly have bleeding after sex
- if you are allergic to desogestrel, or any of the other ingredients of Hana
- if you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant
If any of these apply to you, you should speak to your doctor or family planning nurse, as another form of contraception might be more suitable.
Talk to your pharmacist, doctor or family planning nurse before taking Hana:
- if you have high blood pressure
- if you have diabetes
- if you have epilepsy
- if you have tuberculosis
- if you have had chloasma (yellowish-brown pigmentation patches on the skin, particularly of the face)
It’s common for women taking Hana to experience bleeding that is different from their usual periods. Some women will bleed more, less or experience no bleeding at all.
Bleeding patterns may settle with time. And a change in your bleeding pattern is not something you should normally be worried about if you are taking your pill correctly. But if you are worried, you can always speak to your pharmacist, doctor or family planning nurse.
Make sure you:
- You keep Hana out of the sight and reach of children
- You do not use Hana after the expiry date which is stated on the carton label and blister foil
- The expiry date is the last day of that month
- You do not store above 30°C
- The active substance could cause an environmental risk to fish. Do not throw away any medicines via waste water or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help to protect the environment
Possible side effects
Common side effects these may affect up to 1 in 10 women:
- Altered mood, depressed mood
- Decreased sexual drive (libido)
- Breast pain
- Irregular or no periods
- Increased body weight
Uncommon side effects these may affect up to 1 in 100 women:
- Infection of the vagina
- Difficulties in wearing contact lenses
- Hair loss
- Painful periods
- Ovarian cysts
Rare side effects these may affect up to 1 in 1,000 women
- Blue-red skin lumps (erythema nodosum)
- As well as these side effects, you may notice breast secretion or leakage
How to use
To take Hana, you should take one pill daily at the same time each day. You should take each pack back-to-back, without a break, including if you’re bleeding.
The pack will have the days labelled, so you know which one to take each day. Follow the arrows around, until you’ve finished that pack and can move onto the next.
It’s always good to read the "When and how to take the tablets" in the leaflet enclosed in the pack, before starting Hana. This will also give you information on what to do if you miss a pill or start a pack late.
The active substance is desogestrel. Each film-coated tablet contains 75 microgram desogestrel. The other ingredients are alpha-tocopherol; maize starch; povidone; stearic acid; hypromellose; macrogol 400; titanium dioxide (E 171); lactose monohydrate.
Hana contains lactose (milk sugar).
Delivery and returns
Click & Collect
- Free on all orders over £15
- £1.50 for orders up to £15
- Delivered in 1 working day if ordered before 6pm Monday - 6pm Thursday
- Delivered the following working Tuesday if ordered after 6pm Thursday - 6pm Monday
*Please note: If your chosen pharmacy is in the North West, North East, Yorkshire, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Scottish Highlands and Islands your order will take an additional working day to these delivery times. To find out if your pharmacy is impacted click here.
- Free on orders over £25
- £2.99 for orders up to £25
- Delivered in 3-5 working days
Next day delivery
- Free on orders over £60
- £5.99 for orders up to £60
- Delivered Next Day if ordered before 6pm Monday to Friday
- Delivered Tuesday if ordered after 6pm Friday – Sunday
Pharmacy Medicines delivery
Pharmacy Medicines will need to be signed for by someone aged 18 or over. If there isn't anyone in who can sign for your order, you can change your delivery date or redirect it to a local parcel shop using the courier's website or app.
Unfortunately, your order can't be left in a safe place or with a neighbour. The courier will try to deliver three times before they return it to us.
Purchasing in bulk/high unit volume
Please note that when purchasing high unit volumes of single lines (10+ units) that delivery promotions are null and void.
This is as a result of high volume orders not being able to be dispatched via our normal third party fulfilment.
As a result for any excessive bulk orders of single lines we will be in touch regarding your order to discuss further delivery costs that will be incurred.
If you're not completely satisfied with your order, you can return it to us within 28 days
Find out more about our returns policy click here